October 23, 2010
Wayne State University
Detroit, Michigan, USA
The restaurants below are within walking distance of State Hall.
- Byblos Cafe, 87 W Palmer: Mediterranean.
- Wasabi, 15 E Kirby: Sushi, Japanese, Korean.
- Detroit Institute of Arts Cafe, 5200 Woodward: Salad bar, hot entrees, sandwiches.
- Jimmy John's, 5118 Anthony Wayne: Subs and sandwiches.
- La Pita, 5056 Cass: Mediterranean.
- Cass Cafe, 4620 Cass: Sandwiches, salads, lots of local atmosphere.
Also has a bar.
- Shangri-La, 4710 Cass: Dim sum, Chinese.
- Traffic Jam and Snug, 511 W Canfield: Salads, sandwiches, and entrees.
- Starbucks Coffee, 82 W Warren: Inside the university bookstore.
Below are other recommended restaurants in the area.
- Majestic Cafe, 4120 Woodward: Bistro (between Wayne State and downtown).
- Union Street, 4145 Woodward: Bar and grill (between Wayne State and downtown).
- Small Plates, 1521 Broadway: Tapas-style (walk from Hilton Garden Inn).
- Greektown, Monroe Street: Lots of restaurants and bars (walk from Hilton Garden Inn).
These restaurants are highly recommended, but they’re not within walking distance.
- Sala Thai, 3400 Russell (another location at 1541 E Lafayette): Thai.
- Slows BarBQ, 2138 Michigan Avenue: Not for vegetarians.
- Motor City Brewing Works, 470 W Canfield: Microbrew (walk from Wayne State).
- Detroit Beer Company, 1529 Broadway: Microbrew, serves food (walk from hotel).
- Checker Cab Company, (313) 963-7000.
- Metro Cars, (800) 456-1701: Takes reservations, good for airport transportation.
Email: isaksen at math.wayne.edu